Rescue Company 3

FDNY Rescue Company 3 got it’s newly refurbished rig (Reg# 1009, Rescue 1s rig between 1931 and 1940) in May of 1941. The rig was redone at the shops including a roof made of sheet steel and wood with a felt lining, that covered the front over the chauffeur and officer and continues across the rear compartment. A radio was placed just above and behind the officer. The sides are open but curtains can be quickly dropped to provide shelter from the weather. The 24-foot long rig is now 11-feet high and 8’9″ wide. Capt. Beliakoff and his men worked hand in hand with Capt. Kuch of the shops to design the changes to their rig. It went in service on May 19, 1941 and served until 1953 when it became a spare rescue rig for 2 years.

Leave a Reply